His research is in business dynamism, job creation and productivity growth, with a focus on the factors affecting firm behavior, in determining macroeconomic outcomes.
Current Research Topics
- Business dynamics of trading firms
- Business and productivity dynamics of automation
- Entrepreneurship and early labor market experience
- Innovation and productivity growth
- With Pierre Azoulay, Benjamin Jones, and J. Daniel Kim "Immigration and Entrepreneurship in the United States." No. w27778. National Bureau of Economic Research, 2020.
- With Martha Stinson and Kristin Sandusky, "The Career Implications of Startup Work Experience", 2020
- With Davis, Steven J., John Haltiwanger, Kyle Handley, Ben Lipsius, and Josh Lerner, "The Economic Effects of Private Equity Buyouts." 2020
Selected Refereed Publications
- With Nikolas Zolas, "Measuring the Impact of Household Innovation using Administrative Data." In Measuring And Accounting For Innovation In The Twenty-First Century, Editors Carol Corrado, Jonathan Haskel, Javier Miranda & Daniel Sichel, University Of Chicago Press, Studies In Income And Wealth, 2021.
- With Ryan A Decker, John C. Haltiwanger and Ron S. Jarmin, "Changing Business Dynamism and Productivity: Shocks vs. Responsiveness." American Economic Review 110, no. 12 (2020): 3952-90, 2020
- With Nathan Goldschlag, "Business Dynamics Statistics of High Tech Industries." Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 29(1), 3-30, 2020
- With Pierre Azoulay, Ben Jones and Danny Kim, "Age and High Growth Entrepreneurship." 2019 American Economic Review: Insights 2(1), pp.65-82. NBER Digest, 2019
- With Rob Fairlie and Nik Zolas, "Measuring Job Creation, Growth, and Survival among the Universe of Start-ups in the United States Using a Combined Start-up Panel Data Set." 2019 Industrial and Labor Relations Review , Volume 72 Issue 5, October 2019
- With Kim Bayard, Emin Dinlersoz, Tim Dunne, John Haltiwanger and John Stevens, "Early-Stage Business Formation: An Analysis of Applications for Employer Identification Numbers." 2018 NBER WP 24364.
- With Rob Kulick, John Haltiwanger, and Ron Jarmin, "High Growth Young Firms: Contribution to Job, Output and Productivity Growth" NBER book Measuring Entrepreneurial Businesses: Current Knowledge and Challenges, 2017
- With Emek Basker, "Taken by Storm: Business Survival in the Aftermath of Hurricane Katrina". 2017 Journal of Economic Geography, 17(5), August 2017
- With Ryan A. Decker, John Haltiwanger, Ron S. Jarmin, "Declining Dynamism, Allocative Efficiency, and the Productivity Slowdown" AER (Papers and Proceeding), vol. 107, no. 5, May 2017.
- With Stuart Graham, Cheryl Grim, Tariqul Islam, Alan Marco, "Business Dynamics of Innovating Firms: Linking U.S. Patents with Administrative Data on Workers and Firms." Journal of Economics & Management Strategy 27(3), 372-402, 2017.
- With Rob Fairlie, "Taking the Leap: The Determinants of Entrepreneurs Hiring their First Employee" Journal of Economics & Management Strategy, 26(1), 2016.
- With Ryan A. Decker, John Haltiwanger, Ron S. Jarmin, "Declining business dynamism: Implications for productivity?" 2016 Brookings Institution Report.
- With Ryan Decker, John Haltiwanger, and Ron Jarmin, "Where has all the skewness gone? The decline in high-growth (young) firms in the U.S." European Economic Review, 86 (July):4-23, 2016.
- With by Ryan Decker, John Haltiwanger, Ron Jarmin, "Declining Business Dynamism: What We Know and the Way Forward". American Economic Review Papers and Proceedings 106(5)"203-7, 2016.
- With Ryan Decker, John Haltiwanger, Ron Jarmin, "The Decline of High–Growth Entrepreneurship." 2016 Vox.
- With Ryan Decker, John Haltiwanger, and Ron Jarmin, "The Role of Entrepreneurship in U.S. Job Creation and Economic Dynamism." Journal of Economic Perspectives, 2014.
- With Steven J. Davis, John C. Haltiwanger, Kyle Handley, Ron S. Jarmin, Josh Lerner, "Private Equity, Jobs, and Productivity." 2014 American Economic Review.
- With John Haltiwanger and Ron Jarmin, "Who creates jobs? Small vs Large vs Young." 2013 Review of Economic and Statistics, Vol 28 (2014), Issue: 3 (Summer), Pages: 3-24.
- With J. Haltiwanger, R. Jarmin, and Teresa Fort, "How Firms Respond to Business Cycles: The Role of Firm Age and Firm Size," IMF Economic Review, 61, 2013; The NBER Digest, 2013
- With Ron Jarmin, John Haltiwanger, Steve Davis and Jason Faberman, "Business Volatility, Job Destruction and Unemployment". American Economic Journal Macroeconomics, April 2010.
- With Davis, Steven J., John Haltiwanger, Ron Jarmin and Josh Lerner, "Private Equity, Jobs and Productivity" in Globalization of Alternative Investments, Working Papers Volume 2, World Economic Forum, 2009.
- With Steven Davis, John Haltiwanger, Ron Jarmin and Josh Lerner, "Private Equity and Employment" in Globalization of Alternative Investments, Working Papers Volume 1, World Economic Forum, 2008.
- With Ron Jarmin, "The Impact of Hurricanes Katrina, Rita and Wilma on Business Establishments: A GIS Approach" Journal of Business Valuation and Economic Loss Analysis, Vol 4, Issue 2 (April 2009).
- With Stephen Davis, John Haltiwanger & Ron Jarmin, "Volatility and Dispersion in Business Growth Rates: Publicly Traded Versus Privately Held Firms" NBER Macroannual 2006, Vol 21, pg107-157.
- With Ron Jarmin, "The Longitudinal Business Database: A Primer," 2002 Proceedings of the American Statistical Association, Business and Economics Statistics.
- With Ron Jarmin, "The Longitudinal Business Database." Center for Economic Studies Discussion Papers, CES 02-17.